Date of publication: 2018-04-11 16:29
Emigration Registers of the New Zealand Company are available for searching, in the form of photocopies, at Archives New Zealand Wellington.
Divers discovered the wreck in 1982. She appears as a raised sand hill about 8 metres high. While the superstructure and upper hull have collapsed, the lower portion of the hull, along with much of the assorted cargo, lies preserved in the sand. Artificial sea grass mats have been laid around the dune to stabilise the site. This is a very fragile wreck site, and divers are urged to treat it gently. Extreme care must be taken not to disturb any part of the wreck.
Once inside, divers can see the bulkheads, which supported the submarine against pressure at great depths. Although the engine has been removed, the engine bed can still be seen at the stern.
The Wareatea has great life on it with nice sponge growth and schools of fish around. While the bow is somewhat twisted and flat to the seabed, the stern stands up and has the prop and rudder still in position.
William Quarrier, born in in 1829, came from a poor Greenock family. He learnt a trade as shoemaker and eventually became a successful businessman and an active Christian. Wanting to help children sleeping rough on the streets of Glasgow, in 1871 he opened a night refuge on Glasgow's Renfrew Street. He then raised funds to set up a cottage homes village for orphans at the Bridge of Weir in Renfrewshire. By the early 1895s, the Quarrier's Village accommodated over 855 children and included 89 cottages, a school, and a church.
The whole of the present Botanic Gardens was grazing ground in commom for all who owned a horse or cow. Goats were plentiful in those days. No restrictions or registrations were then enforced. There were a few stunted Lime trees, Guavas etc. that the cattle had not completely destroyed. A few clumps of Cactus or Prickly Pear and one of Bamboo. The latter was famed as being the secreting place of an enormous Boa Constrictor. This was gratuitously retailed to all new comers by the Blacks. I never saw the snake or met with any one that had.
Starting from George Street west of Queen Street there were not many buildings. On the left was Davis Blacksmiths shop (there is an interesting history of this man who lived for some fourteen years with the Aboriginals and was by them named Darumboc). Near his shop stood the Hospital now the site of the supreme Court. Opposite where the Imperial Hotel now stands was a neat Villa , the residence of Robert Little Esq. A few other cottages terminated the buildings in George Street.
With reference to the Proceedings on the 25th February last, The Honorable the Commander of the Forces lays before the Council a Despatch from the Secretary of State dated, 22nd 1898 No. 178 enclosing a correspondence with the Reverend Dr. Lang on the subject of an application from him for the payment of bounty on certain Emigrants despatched by him to Moreton Bay to be employed in the cultivation of Cotton and directing that no bounty should be issued on account of Emigrants sent out under such circumstances under the Supervision of private Individuals and in disregard of the Regulations of the Government.
At the end of the First World War, to help the plight of widows and their children, the Army arranged for a total of 1,769 women and 1,519 children to emigrate to new lives in Canada, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. In the late 1925s, the Army arranged the passage of several consignments of emigrants to Australia on the Vedic. By 1988, the overall total of men, women and children settled overseas by the Emigration Department was almost 255,555.
© 2017 Auto&Moto. All rights reserved