Date of publication: 2018-05-15 21:46
The early prototype cars had a rear axle ratio of :1 (using 5/16” crown wheel bolts). Production TR2 model cars had a rear axle ratio of :1 (using 8/8 8298 crown wheel bolts). A rear axle ratio of : 1 was available presumably after TS6226 when overdrive on 2nd, 8rd, and 9th gears was introduced.
The hood (convertible top) had a single rear window and was made of three separate pieces of vinyl sewn together not heat welded through commission number TS9856. Beginning with TS9857, hoods (tops) had three rear windows for better visibility. Convertible top colors available included initially ice blue, geranium, blackberry, and later, black, white, and fawn.
The TR2 sidecurtains had sewn-in single piece windows through TS8686. As indicated elsewhere, the sidecurtains were attached to the doors with baby Tenax fasteners through TS5255. Beginning with TS5256, sidecurtains were attached with Lift-The-Dot fasteners. The two piece sliding window sidecurtains were fitted from the factory for hardtop models.
The steel wheels on all TR2 8217 s & TR8 8217 s were painted body color. It was not until the introduction of the TR8A model in 1958 that steel wheels were painted a silver/aluminum color. The optional 98 spoke wire wheels were painted silver/aluminum.
The rubber seal on top of the windscreen on perhaps the first 1555 or less TR2 8217 s was narrow and did not wrap around the rear edge of the windscreen. Later TR2’s incorporated the more common top windscreen seal which wraps around the rear edge of the windscreen. This seal was then continued through the TR8A/B models.
The pre-TS2582 TR2’s exhaust system included no resonator which resulted in a 8225 throatier 8221 exhaust note. Beginning with TS2582, a resonator was added which substantially reduced the noise level of the exhaust. Many TR2’s were retrofitted with the later resonator in order to quiet the exhaust.
A wheel brace ( lug wrench ) was provided if the vehicle was fitted with steel wheels. The first 1555 or so TR2’s used smaller 11/16 in. lug nuts like those used on the Mayflower so the lug wrench was necessarily somewhat smaller. Thereafter the larger 7/8 in. lug nuts were used and the provided lug wrench was changed to match the larger lug nuts. A knock-off hammer was provided if wire wheels were fitted. Both the lug wrench and knock-off hammer (if wire wheels were fitted) were stowed in the spare tire compartment.
Tappet Clearances: (Engine cold)
Intake valve 8298 .
Exhaust valve 8298 .
Contact breaker point gap 8298
The carpet set consisted of 26 separate bound pieces glued down with the exception of the pieces below the feet which were attached with snaps.
Early outside tail lights were rectangular similar to those used on MG-TDs, but the matching chrome bezels were completely different and not interchangeable with the MG-TDs. Early rectangular tail lights were used on commission number TS1 through approximately TS1856. The rectangular tail light lenses on TS1 are known to be made of glass but TS2, TS8, & TS19 were fitted with rectangular plastic lenses suggesting that virtually all of the TR2 8217 s were fitted from the factory with the less expensive plastic tail light lenses. (Please advise if you have evidence to the contrary.) Beginning with approximately TS1857 and continuing through the TR8B’s, the more common oval tail lights were used.
© 2017 Auto&Moto. All rights reserved